CSI Ministries’ exists to bring people close to Christ through short-term missions.
We are a short-term mission agency delivering experiences for people to share Christ’s love with those they encounter. We encourage discipleship through opportunities for team members as they prepare, engage and debrief the mission experience. We serve to help local churches grow increasing their impact in their home communities and beyond. In the communities where we serve, we strive to share the redeeming Gospel of Jesus Christ and help meet basic needs for our brothers and sisters in Christ.
Through our nearly 50-year history, we have ministered to more than 20,000 people in churches throughout the United States. Faithful volunteers and dedicated staff engaged Kingdom building by serving as leaders, coaches and organizers. This is accomplished through sharing God’s word and providing medical assistance, housing and other ministry opportunities with thousands more in at least 15 countries throughout the world. One of our goals is to help you assess your gifts and passions in order to identify the areas where you can best minister.
In Luke 10:2 Jesus says, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.” (NASB). Unlike the harvest, the work of the gospel is not seasonal — for that reason, CSI Ministries coordinates mission teams throughout the year.
Is the Lord of the harvest calling you to short-term or full-time missionary service? Perhaps you have heard him say, “Whom shall I send?”(Isaiah 6:8). We currently have short-term team opportunities in Jamaica, Belize and the United States.
For nearly 50 years CSI Ministries has been providing churches, schools, universities, families and individuals with a team approach to missions. CSI Ministries partners with established churches and para-church organizations in Kingdom building through national and international missions.
In the mid-1960’s Rev. Herb McCombas led mission teams to Haiti which were primarily made up of pastors. He had the firm belief that if you wanted to get a new pastor send them to the mission field. He assured people that if they sent them to the mission field they would never again be the same. In 1966, Herb launched World Mission Tours as a non-profit to lead mission teams from Kentucky. In 1967, Christian Service International became the short-term sending agency while World Mission Tours engaged in a different aspect for the ministry in helping make short-term mission trips possible.
Herb led the ministry until 1978 when he asked Eddy and Shirley Cline if they would be interested in leading the ministry. Initially, they felt their call remained in pastoral ministry. However, on July 1, 1978 the board of directors officially appointed Eddy Cline as the executive director and Shirley became the office manager.
Through the years, the office moved to several locations throughout Muncie as the organization grew. In early 1980, Christian Service International officially changed its name to CSI Ministries, Inc. When Herb starting taking teams they went to Haiti and it eventually became a full-time field. In the 80’s when Haitian politics created safety issues, they began taking teams to Jamaica. Occasionally, teams would head to other countries and this led to full-time missions in Belize, the United States and Kenya. Teams visited at least a dozen other countries from time-to-time as the opportunities were available.
Different ministries have emerged through CSI Ministries as new non-profits were formed. These ministries grew beyond the scope of facilitating short-term mission trips and many are still going strong today. In addition, different short-term missionaries and individuals who participated in extended ministry opportunities are now serving as full-time missionaries.
While CSI Ministries experienced challenges and changes through the years, God’s direction remained clear with regard to sharing the Gospel throughout the world. He continues to provide talented staff, volunteers and provisions to make the ministry possible.
- Herb McCombas – 1967-1978
- Eddy Cline – 1978-2002
- Lenville Gross – 2002-2007
- Frank Brown – 2007-2008
- Ronn Oren – 2009-2011
- Jody Kress – 2012-2016
- Len Scott – 2016-2017
- John Key – 2017-Present
*John Key served as interim director in periods from 2008-09, 2011-12 and 2016.
- We believe that the Bible is the inspired, infallible, and authoritative written word of God.
- We believe there is only one God, eternally existent in three persons – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of Jesus Christ, in his virgin birth, his sinless life, his miracles, his vicarious and atoning death, his bodily resurrection, his ascension to the right hand of the Father, and his personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential for the salvation of sinful man.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe in the resurrection of the saved and the unsaved – those who are saved unto the resurrection of life, and those who are unsaved unto the resurrection of damnation.
- We believe that the Church is the body of Christ, that all who are united by faith to Christ are members of the same, and that, having thus become members one of another, it is our solemn and covenant duty to fellowship with one another in peace and to love one another with the pure love that comes from God.